50g (2oz) Butter of margarine
25g (1oz) Bacon trimmings
100g (4oz) Onions
100g (4oz) Carrots
50g ( 2oz) Flour
100g (4oz) Tomato puree
1litre (2 pints) Stock
1 Slice stale bread
50g (2oz) Butter
(1) Melt the butter or margarine in a thick-bottomed pan.
(2) Add the bacon, rough diced onion and carrot and brown lightly. Mix in the flour and cook until a sandy texture.
(3) Remove from the heat, add the tomato puree and return to the heat. Gradually add the hot stock.
(4) Stir in the boil and add the bouquet garni, season lightly and simmer for approximately 1 hour. Skim when required.
(5) Remove the bouquet garni and mirepoix and pass firmly through a sieve, then through a conical strainer.
(6) Return to clean pan, correct the seasoning, and consistency. Bring to the boil.
Note: If a slightly sweet/ sour flavour is required, reduce 100ml (3/16 pt) vinegar and 35g castor sugar to a lightly caramel and mix in to the completed soup.