300g (12oz) Mixed vegetables (onion, carrot, turnip, leek, celery)
50g (2oz) Butter or margarine
25g (1oz) Flour (White or wholemeal)
1 litre (2pt) White stock
100g (4oz) Potatoes
1 Slice of stale bread
50g (2oz) Butter
(1) Peel, wash and slice all vegetables except the potatoes.
(2) Cook gently in the butter or margarine in a sauce pan with the lid on, without colouring.
(3) Mix in the flour, cook slowly for a few minutes without colouring and leave to cool slightly.
(4) Mix in the hot stock and stir to the boil.
(5) Add the sliced potatoes, bouquet garni and season. Simmer for 30 - 40 minutes and skim when necessary.
(6) Remove the bouquet garni and pass through a sieve and then through a median strainer or liquidise.
(7) Return to a clean pan, re-boil, correct the seasoning and the consistency.